Our Church History
From the Heart began in 1981 as Full Gospel Church in Marlow Heights, Maryland with a call from God to the late Dr. John A. Cherry (1940-2019) and his wife, Reverend Diana P. Cherry. They established a church with a mission to build strong families through teaching the people to love God, hate sin and love to give. On July 8, 1999, Full Gospel withdrew from its former denomination and From the Heart Church Ministries of Philadelphia was established. From the Heart Church Ministries Worldwide™ is one church worldwide with a common Vision, Plan and Motivation extracted from the Word of God, based on the Word of God and subject to the Word of God.
From the Heart churches are located throughout the United States and around the world, on six different continents. Episcopal Pastor, Bishop John A. Cherry, II is responsible for the spiritual, administrative and financial oversight of From the Heart Church Worldwide™. From the Heart Church Ministries of Philadelphia joined From the Heart on August 1, 1999.
Jeffrey V. Branson, was given a pastoral appointment in his former denomination; however, when Dr. John A. Cherry left the former denomination, the son of the ministry and his wife chose to leave the former denomination. Pastor Branson a former employee on staff never left the Reformation teachings of the Parent Church; therefore, it was only natural to return home once the late Dr. John A. Cherry (1940-1999) established From the Heart Church Ministries Worldwide™.
Pastor Branson initially named the ministry, The Philadelphia Macedonia Church “The Church with a Good Heart”. The first service was held on August 1, 1999 at a hotel and 42 people joined that day. The church was established on the vision, plan, motivation, spiritual principles and foundational teachings of From the Heart Church Ministries and the standards of Excellence of Ministry . The church with a “good heart” taught the people to give their hearts to Jesus, their family, local church and community. Pastor Branson always referred to the ministry as an Overflow Room of the Parent Church. In October 2000, the ministry was granted authority to change its name to From the Heart Church Ministries of Philadelphia and the name change became official on May 7, 2001.
From the Heart Church Ministries of Philadelphia experienced explosive growth consisting of several locations a hotel, banquet facility, museum and school. However, 3600 N. 20th Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania is the permanent location. The property was acquired through the support of the Parent Church Biblical Infrastructure, where none suffer lack. On July 1, 2007, Founding Pastor dedicated From the Heart Church Ministries of Philadelphia’s new church building. From the Heart Church Ministries of Philadelphia was the Host Church for the bi-annual Episcopal Council Meeting and From the Heart Pastors Conference in April/May 2008, Host Church for the bi-annual Episcopal Council Meeting and From the Heart Pastors Conference April 8-12, 2019 and the Host Church for the From the Heart Church Ministries Spring Ministerial Training in March 2-6, 2020.
Due to the vision of the Founding Pastor to further the Gospel through expansion locations, From the Heart Church Ministries of Philadelphia established an expansion location in Brooklyn, New York. In July of 2013, From the Heart Church Ministries of Philadelphia was able to pay the Biblical Infrastructure in full for the purchase of their building and its construction. 2018 From the Heart Church Ministries of Philadelphia received a stormwater Grant to improve the grounds with a green stormwater infrastructure. As of November 1, 2020, the membership on file is 3,861.